Summer Care Tips to Keep Your Jewellery Sparkling and New As Ever
July 15, 2021
If fashion jewellery had an enemy as vicious as Thanos, that will be the hot and humid Indian summer! You step out even for a second, and sweat starts to drip. You frequently spray perfume to keep yourself fresh and fragrant. The lotion and makeup melt, and you constantly feel the need to step in for a quick shower. And now on top of that, with the periodic spraying of sanitizer to keep you germ-free, another adversary of costume jewellery has tiptoed into the arena.
All of the above is a big no-no when it comes to keeping your most cherished imitation jewellery pieces in mint condition. We, at Orionz, strive to create products that are not only timeless in their design and aesthetics but are also durable in their built and shine. We use top-quality stones and pearls and 925 Sterling Silver to craft jewellery that will stand the test of time. But that is just one-half of the story! The other half is in your hands. And we decided to help you to protect your purchase this summer with a few season-specific care tips.
Tips to care for your fashion jewellery during summer
- Keep your fashion jewellery clean and dry, especially during pool parties or swimming sessions
- Store your jewellery carefully and separately to prevent tangling and unnecessary friction every time you reach out looking for a piece to wear.
- Clean your jewellery with a soft dry cloth and remove makeup products and skincare products meticulously
- Prevent spraying perfumes or sanitizer on them that can cause discoloration
- Use anti-tarnish tissue paper to wrap the jewellery and use a soft cloth for a nice polished and finished look
- To keep faux pearls looking shiny and smooth, give them a rub down with a damp cloth. Don’t hold them under direct water and hang them to dry. Water robs pearl off its shine.
- Be wary of using home cleaning hacks for costume jewellery when the piece includes pearls because alcohol, ammonia, and vinegar can damage them.
How to take care of costume jewellery made from sterling silver?
Remember, keeping your silver dry is the bare minimum requirement to keep it tarnish-free. Actually, water itself is not harmful. But the kind of chemical or contaminants that it contains can react with the silver leaving it tarnished and looking dull. Even if you take a shower wearing one by mistake, don’t fret. Just devote extra care and time to dry the jewellery thoroughly.
To keep them gleaming, a polish using a microfiber cloth is advisable. Avoid circular motion for cleaning the tarnish and instead, switch to long up-and-down-strokes. Use a different part of the cloth for a different area to prevent the tarnish from spreading. For hard-to-reach spots, use a q-tip.
Storage is definitely critical and you can’t cut corners by dumping all the pieces in one place to rush and saving time. Store the items separately in the bags that they arrive in. Reduce air exposure further by placing a silica gel packet inside each bag.
Try not to leave your silver jewellery lying around against bare timber as it consists of an acid that will surely tarnish the exterior of the silver. Also, prevent it from direct contact with paper or cardboard, since they are lumber pulp produces that might yield a similar result. So, avoid keeping silver in envelopes or even in small cardboard boxes as well.